Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Week 4 - Doubling of Efforts?

Week 4: What did you learn about the design of online courses this week that will affect how you think about this form of instruction in the future?

I must admit that I actually had a hard time finding course demos. There were several Learning Management System demos, but some course demos were “under construction” (for six months? govhs) and others claimed to be course demos but were more about online learning, in general (ncvps)

When considering the design of online courses, I was frustrated, actually. I imagined what it must be like for a parent who has exhausted every learning avenue for their child and is placing another hope in an online opportunity. Looking at the various courses left me underwhelmed, and on behalf of my (admittedly nonexistent) child, a bit depressed about the learning options available.

The other thought I kept having is, “Why are all of these places reinventing the wheel?” I know there are dozens of learning management systems and an abundance of courses and approaches, but there must be SO much redundancy in course development in the online environment. I know this exists in every teaching/school context, but when you can actually SEE it, it’s discouraging. It made me wonder if there would be an innovation (maybe it’s Moodle?) that might trigger the consolidation of systems (as we have seen with Google apps) and allow, therefore, for greater creativity WITHIN a system rather than creating yet another fledgling framework for the presentation of material.

No comments:

Post a Comment