Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Week 7 - Predicting Speedbumps

There is no question in my mind that my biggest concern when designing a math unit on linear equations is dealing with the math symbols themselves. I find this to be a challenge when using any web 2.0 tools with math. How do I use math symbols effectively, and more to the point, where within that web tool do I access them when they become more advanced ? Most of these applications have their own math modules, and it becomes problematic when one is moving back and forth between them.

The more pressing concern, of course, is not how the teacher negotiates these challenges but how the student does. If the student is not clear on how to write “the square root of 17,” then the student’s frustration regarding the inability to communicate can even overtake the challenges of the material itself.

The other challenge in creating any online program, I believe, is to avoid reinventing the wheel. There is SO much information already online that an instructor can access and utilize. At this point, it may be more about wading through all of the options to find an incredibly effective approach/tool rather than necessarily creating one from scratch. I’m looking forward, however, to working on a unit I can put to use next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment